Re: [Re: Newby]

On Monday 27 December 2004 09:03, calvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks to Jason, Kassad and Askar for responding to my email. I've only
> played with RedHat before, and mostly forced myself to use command line
> than the GUI interface. Maybe its time to try other Linux flavor. Now,
> this FW I want to setup for my home network, I would like the least
> software loaded on this as this is a 32MB, PII 266, 2.5GB computer. I am
> thinking IPTABLES, Tripwire, SNORT, or will that be too much for this
> machine ? Related to this, where can I find information of those required
> to load during OS installation for these 3 apps to work.

I know that SuSE has a minimal installation option that will easily fit on
your drive. Without the gui 266 should be more than fast enough since your
internet connection will be the slowest link. RAM could be tight though. SuSE
offers a text based installation for PCs with RAM/Video limits. You can
select the minimal installation option then hand pick any other files you
wish to add/delete. It uses RPM packages so it will check for dependencies
before it loads files. Worth a look...

Jeff