Re: Are established connections interrupted when iptables is restarted?

> > I make changes in the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file and then do a "service
> > iptables restart". Would this interrupt the established connections through
> > the firewall?
>
> Provided that 'service iptables restart' does not unload the conntrack module,
> then the established-connections table will not be reloaded - you will likely
> have a second or two of no connectivity while the ruleset is reloaded,
> though.

Right.  I've done this many times, and never seen any dropped
connections.  I've even restarted the firewall from a remote ssh
session, and never had any trouble-- just a short pause in the console
output.  Of course, that's terrible practice-- if your firewall script
doesn't finish executing, for whatever reason, then you're hosed until
you can get back to the console.

--
To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net"