Re: Accounting for national/international traffic

Hi,

And thanks to both people who have answered my question! Accounting for
national/international traffic using the "ipt_account" module seems
quite straightforward now. However, since the list of national IP
ranges is quite long, it might introduce a serious performance penalty.
In that respect, the "dscp" module seems to be a better option -- if
supported by my ISP. (It also has the advantage that the classification
is always up-to-date with the list of national IP ranges).

Anyway, looking at the long list of IP ranges, it occurred to me that
this is essentially a decision tree problem, which could be optimised
using known algorithms.  My googling has returned empty-handed, so my
question is: does someone know of any project which aims at optimising
iptables rules based on decision trees?  If not, I would gladly take a
look at the problem when I find some time.

Cheers,
Jean