Re: Reject all the interfaces

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 22:23, Erico Augusto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had the simple task to block the connection of 3 workstation(loopback
> and eth0) after a certain hour. So, I decided to put the single rule:
>
> iptables -I OUTPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>
> After that, a friend of mine told me the following:
>
> It's better to reject the eth0 only, because, with the rule above, I'm
> blocking the loopback also, and the services that depends on that
> "interface",

remove the quotes--lo is a real interface just like eth0.  i agree with
your friend that blocking all packets on lo is a very bad idea if these
are workstations.  since unix windowing environments are network
client/server architecture, blocking packets on lo has interesting side
effects like not being able to use your keyboard anymore (yes--i did
this once).  also--if you're trying to block outbound network
connections, blocking lo isn't helping you achieve this result.

> such as all the unix sockets based applications.

unix domain sockets have nothing to do with the loopback interface.

> That is my doubt. I read a lot of documentation about the netfilter
> architecture, but there is that gap of knowledge. The documentation
> never speaks about the differences between unix and tcp sockets.

because netfilter doesn't deal with unix domain sockets.  the netfilter
documentation never speaks about IPX/SPX or AppleTalk either, but i
don't consider that to be a short-coming.

> Instead of search directly in google,I decided to ask here in netfilter
> list: Where can I find that kind of information(nefilter x unix/tcp
> sockets)?

by searching google.  or reading stevens' vol. 3

-j

--
"Me fail English? That's unpossible."
	--The Simpsons