Re: Second shot at IPTables script

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 17:37, Jason Williams wrote:
> > > $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p ALL -i $LAN_IFACE -s $LAN_IP_RANGE -j ACCEPT
> >
> >you really want to allow unlimited access to your firewall from your
> >internal network?
>
> Probably not. Just want to allow my LAN access to the internet (private
> home LAN) and to use whatever services as needed: 80, 443, 21, ssh etc.
> Recommend better rule?

INPUT is only traversed by packets destined for a local processes.  to
allow your LAN to access the Internet, you need FORWARD rules.

> >stylistic note:  the "-p ALL" is unnecessary.  seems to be awfully
> >popular amongst those that post their rules here, but it's just more
> >stuff to read, type, and possibly mistype...no biggie, though.
>
> Good tip to know. Would you recommend -p tcp instead?

if you mean "any IP protocol" you don't need a "-p" at all.  if you mean
TCP, then use "-p tcp"...say what you mean and mean what you say.

[...snip...]

> So I could remove those three above and just put:
>
> $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT
>
> and that should do it?

yup.

> I am amazed at the complexity and power that one has with IPTables. It
> really is quite astonishing (a good thing). The level of flexibility,
> customization is mind boggling. I look forward to further getting involved
> with IPTables.

it's good stuff, yes.

> Thanks for your help.

np.

> Jason

-j

--
"I've figured out an alternative to giving up my beer. Basically,
 we become a family of traveling acrobats!"