Re: NATTING for a whole network.

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 12:22, Irvin, Michael Thad wrote:
> I'm kinda new at this iptables thing.  I've been running into a problem with
> trying to NAT for a class C subnetted class A network...i.e. 10.168.1.0/24.
> The syntax I've been using is as follows -- $ipt -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o
> $outside -j SNAT -to-source $lan, with the variable $lan = "10.168.1.0/24".
> Everytime I've ran the script I get the following error <iptables v.x.x.x
> Bad IP Address.  Can anyone please help me with the proper syntax to make
> this work?  I've tried various options such the one above, also including
> the whole subnetmask  and playing around with different delimitation
> options, nothing seems to work.
<snip>
I generally use the NETMAP patch from patch-o-matic for this.  SNAT/DNAT
does not necessarily create a straight mapping of addresses as far as I
know whereas NETMAP does.  In fact we use it all the time in the ISCS
network security project (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) to resolve
conflicting IP address space problems.  Hope this helps - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation