Re: protocol 50 unreachable

I mean with "incomplete" that the tcpdump traffic I see does not show up
in the logs. I used your rules at the end of your reply and see the same
thing: ESP from VPN_SERVER hits $EXTIF, triggers the "protocol 50
unreachable" icmp response and no log entry ever shows up in the kernel
log from the iptables log rule. I am suspecting that your option 3) is
indeed the problem.

h.