Re: iptables for port forwarding

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 00:51, Nick wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a server which I can only connect to via port 80, due to a
> firewall.  I want to connect to VNC on the server, and connect to it
> via a VNC client my laptop.  VNC server only wants to run on port 5900.
>  I'm not running an HTTP server on 80, so no prob there.  I want to
> forward packets  coming into the server on port 80 to the VNC on 5900.

Take a step back and work from first principles... can you telnet to port 80
on the server from your laptop?

You should see something like this...

gdh:~# telnet 1.2.3.4 80
Trying 1.2.3.4...
Connected to myhost.mydomain.com
Escape character is '^]'.
RFB 003.003

If you don't see that 'RFB' message then something else is wrong.. if you do
see it, then can I ask how you're telling the VNC client to use port 80?

You can't simply tell it to connect to "1.2.3.4:80" because this will try to
connect to port 5980...

Cheers,
Gavin.