Re: FTP Connection State Tracking Issue

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 13:19, Ashutosh wrote:
> > no--but you need to write scripts like this:
> >
> >   iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

allows packets that match connections in the conntrack table

> >   iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --syn --dport 21 -j ACCEPT

allows FTP connections outbound

> Well, I thought the Connection Tracking and NAT Modules *for* FTP did
> the same.. Correct me if I am wrong..

connection tracking does not write filter rules for you.

> After all, why are the ALGs neccessary, if *user space* iptables rules
> are still required ?

i don't understand this question.  what "ALGs" are you speaking of?
iptables rules are necessary to allow/deny traffic; as that's how you
get firewalls to do what you want (ideally).

-j

--
"I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt... not that fancy
 store-bought dirt... that stuff's loaded with nutrients, I... I