Re: state NEW

El vie, 19 de 11 de 2004 a las 10:31, Jochen Vogel escribiÃ:
> hi,
>
> i have the following forwarding rule
>
> $IPT -A FORWARD -i $INT -o $EXT -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j
> QUEUE

Here you are sending all this traffic to userspace, I suppose to
snort-inline or similar program. You could use stateless rules because
you are sending everything...

> $IPT -A FORWARD -i $EXT -o $INT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED     -j
> ACCEPT

And this rule does nothing, because all the traffic has been sent to
userspace and then accepted or dropped, probably.

> if i send an ACK with hping from INT to EXT it reaches the target system
>
> if i do
>
> $IPT -A FORWARD -i $INT -o $EXT -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPTLOG
> $IPT -A FORWARD -i $EXT -o $INT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED-j
> ACCEPT

Here you are logging and accepting all the new connections and accepting
all the related conections.

> i can see the following
>
> Nov 19 12:05:20 snolin kernel: ACPT IN=eth0 OUT=ppp0 SRC=1.1.1.1 DST=2.2.2.2
> LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=12368 PROTO=TCP SPT=2618 DPT=63
> WINDOW=512 RES=0x00 ACK URGP=0

So everything it's working as you have configured it.

> did i have a false understanding from NEW or whats wrong

I don't know what you want to do exactly.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.