Re: Unicast packets to multiple destinations -only-

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 04:48, Luigi Corsello wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got 3 IPs in one interface (ip addr add, not aliasing), and wanted to
> only allow unicast packets to any of them (and/or their subnet in one
> case, to allow broadcasts for the local net).
> Aim: no broadcasts, no multicast, spoofing prevention?.
>
> You can't have multiple -d in rules. My quick solution was 3 tables
> (this is a sample):
>
> iptables -N ta
> iptables -N tb
> iptables -N tc
>
> iptables -A tc -d ! $ip3 -j DROP
> iptables -A tb -d ! $ip2 -j tc
> iptables -A ta -d ! $ip1 -j tb
>
> iptables -A INPUT -j ta
>
> It works, much junk stays out.  All services work.
>  From the list point of view, is this insane(a) stupid(b) or clever(c)?
> and why?

if it works, then it's neither insane nor stupid.  just to add a
viewpoint, if you asked me how to accomplish the same, i would have
probably answered:

  iptables -N scrub_interface_0
  iptables -A scrub_interface_0 -d ${ip1} -j RETURN
  iptables -A scrub_interface_0 -d ${ip2} -j RETURN
  iptables -A scrub_interface_0 -d ${ip3} -j RETURN
  iptables -A scrub_interface_0 -j DROP

  iptables -A INPUT -i ${int0} -j scrub_interface_0

from my perspective--i can figure out what the above is doing much more
quickly than i can looking at your method.  but it's really just
that--personal preference.

-j

--
"When will I learn? The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom
 of a bottle, they're on TV!"