Re: newbie question - what is the iptables equivalent of a Linksys "DMZ" ?

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 19:42, David Williamson wrote:

> When a machine behind the router was
> going to serve as a, for example, game server (like Unreal Tournament
> 2004), the only way I could get it to work was to put that particular IP
> on the DMZ, which, I gather, meant that it looked like it was right on
> the net, unprotected, unrouted, unmasqed, et cetera.
>
> Since I'm trying to understand what the Linksys box did and give the new
> router box the same abilities, it would help if I knew what the heck
> that feature was really called, and/or how to implement that in
> iptables.

Check out the docs located here:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/index.html#documentation-howto

and do some reading on SNAT (rewrites source IP address) and DNAT
(rewrites destination IP address). This will mimic the feature you
describe above.

HTH,
Chris