Re: iptables and TOS 15

Jason Opperisano schrieb:
On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 03:40, tepesu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

   hi,

my ISP mark packets from some internet traffic with TOS 15 and i musst
filter this traffic. how and where i must odified iptables to can do some
filtering using this marks, TOS 15.

as far as i'm aware, "15" is not a valid TOS value.  as a result of the
way the TOS bits are set in the packet header, there are only 5 possible
TOS settings (from RFC 1349):

  1000   --   minimize delay
  0100   --   maximize throughput
  0010   --   maximize reliability
  0001   --   minimize monetary cost
  0000   --   normal service

Concerning to http://www.lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.classless.html#AEN659 the value 15 is a combination of all possible TOS values. What would be logical because with a 4bit field you are able to get the max decimal value of 15. In my opinion marking with 15 or not marking have the same effect. Also using the TOS values only makes sense when using for example the pfifo_fast queueing discipline to schedule pakets.