Re: Need help with basic understanding of IPtables

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 16:23, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> > IP numbers belong to the IP stack and have nothing to do with
> > interfaces.  This idea is completely useless, forget it, this will make
> > things (eg. routing) a lot more understandable.  From this point of
> > view, Jasons posting is IMHO very clear.
>
> I only point it out because not everyone knows that there's a difference,
> and may think that the non-NIC interfaces are immune. I remember setting up
> my first ipchains firewall and thinking it odd that I needed explicit rules
> for the loopback interface, but it makes perfect sense in hindsight.

The part that I think is weird is that NAT may be tied to an interface
when first applied, but even if routes are changed so that packets
to a particular address no longer go through that interface, any
that have an entry in the ip_conntrack table continue to have
the NAT applied.  Is this intentional?

---
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx