RE: iptables source net and layer7

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 11:28, Marco wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thanks for your answer. I tried this but do not work.
> I used tcpdump to verify the packets and saw the problem.

[ snip ]

you're trying to change horses mid-stream.  a normal TCP session looks
like:

CLIENT		SERVER
---------------------------
1) SYN ->
2) 		<- SYN-ACK
3) ACK ->
4) GET / ->

my questions for you:

at which point in this conversation does your firewall make a routing
decision for the session flow, choose a SNAT, and enter the connection
into the conntrack table?  (my answer is step 1)

at which point in this conversation can it be determined what layer 7
protocol is being spoken over this port?  (my answer is step 4)

you are applying a SNAT to a connection at packet 1, and then trying to
change the source IP of the connection at packet 4.

-j

--
Jason Opperisano <opie@xxxxxxxxxxx>