TCP timeout

Hello,

	This is not a iptables question, but I am not sure where else to ask.

I need to find out that the RFC specification timeout is under the following condition, and google is not helping.

1. Client makes ftp connection to server
2. Server response with initial syn and ack

3. Server does a reverse dns / ident look on the client IP before providing a FTP login prompt.

Our developers created a Java app that makes FTP connection to a server, that some times takes 30 seconds to reply with a login prompt.

In the mean time the Java app has exited because of the 30 second delay. I want to get the app changed to refect the standard, as 30 seconds does seem very short.

-- Michael Gale Lan Administrator Utilitran Corp.

The best part is when the people who know the least are the ones ranting and raving.