RE: Upper limit of users for iptables firewall

jose,

processing acls is not  afunction of how many but how deep thru the list
before  we get  a match and how the firewall internals address usage
of horse power - this is NOT bandwidth issue at all.

acl building  is an art that born out of a combination of
1.	blocking known badstuff.
2. 	placing 'noisy' allowed protocols near top to not thrash.
3.	blocking ALL un needed traffic EARLY in the acl.
4. 	pro-actively monitoring and profile bulding to fine-tune the acls.

this is why i suggest that firewalls, routers, servers and clients be
separated
whenever finances and layer 8 of the OSI allow it.

btw,,,,layer 8 relates to finance/marketing/politics, if one is hindered by
this
then they have my sympathies as this is usually what allows intruders
access
more than any other single componenet.

~piranha