Re: ways to lookup or query rules?

Well, as far as I know there's no facility for lookup or query. I would take
the same approach as you do. One slight improvement is use iptables-save
instead of -l option. The output of the former command looks better in that its
format is much closer to what you key in.

Personally I put another layer between my code and iptables so that all the
iptables-related commands will go through it, letting it take care of the
chores.

Jinsuk Kim