Problem with iptables module

I've seen this a some of my boxes that are under RedHat 7.x. I Haven,t been able to pinpoint the exact problem, and is quite anoying...

The problem is that whever I want to restart (reload) iptables and it's rules, I use the /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables script that came with the RedHat's RPM version of iptables. That scripts does the job of loading/unloading the necessary modules from the system.

So, on most boxes, I load the ip_conntrack_ftp modules to help use passive mode. When the script does a "modprobe -r ip_conntrack_ftp", it stalls there, I have to kill the script, and I'm not able to kill (even -9) the modprobe process, and this process sits there, eating 100% of the CPU.

When I do a lsmod, I don't see any ip_tables module except ip_conntrack, which is at the deleted state.

The current system I have this problem is a RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.20-24.7, iptables 1.2.8.
It does it also on a RedHat 7.3, custum kernel 2.4.24, patched (with only pptp_conntrack_patch) iptables 1.2.10.

Any hints on this ?