Re: connection tracking without iptables?

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:22:41 -0700, Daniel Chemko <dchemko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> > This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to track
> > connections without iptables/netfilter?
>
> Yeah, use libpcap and parse it out yourself! (snicker)
>
> Exactly what are you looking for and why? A good chunk of netfilter is
> *just* connection tracking. What do you expect to get out of just
> conntrack?

Just trying to get an idea of the type and amount of traffic passing
through a subnet.  I've done this before with tcpdump, but that
required an external parsing program to reconstitute all the
connections from the tcpdump capture.

--
Jiann-Ming Su
                                            If I wanted to do that,