Re: ip_conntrack_max vs ip_conntrack

Michal Ludvig wrote:
Hi all,

could someone please explain me what is the relation between the number
in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max and number of lines in
/proc/net/ip_conntrack?

On one of our very loaded firewalls (with 1GB RAM) we are still getting
"ip_conntrack: table full, dropping packet." message. We tried to tweak
all different parameters, e.g. hashsize to up to 1048576,
ip_conntrack_max, ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established, etc.
Unfortunately sooner or later the kernel always starts dropping packets.
At the same time however there are at most a few thousands of lines in
/proc/net/ip_conntrack.

I instrumented the kernel to dump the same output via printk() once
ip_conntrack_count reaches ip_conntrack_max. When I set _max=128 and run
nmap through the firewall it of course very soon prints the "dropping
packets" message, but along with only 6 (=six!) lines of connections.
Where was the rest, 122 connections, lost? What does the
ip_conntrack_count actually count?

Ok one thing you might want to do is check to see if you dont have a bug in your kernel somewhere.. I found the one I talked about earlier by doing the following:

cat /proc/slabinfo |grep ip_conntrack
cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack | wc -l

Not the best and very racy.. but the 2 did NOT match up in any shape or form. I then played around with various conntrack modules until I figure d it out to being something with conntrack_irc and conntrack_ftp in the kernel I was running. Removing those allowed for the 2 to match up closely when doing HTTP crashloads on the firewall. Adding either one of them caused what looked like a resource leak.

As far as I can tell.. a POM-only patched 2.4.26 did not exhibit this problem.

--
Stephen John Smoogen	        | CCN-5 Security Team
LANL SIRT Team Leader           | SMTP:  smoogen@xxxxxxxx