droping too many ports

hi all

what if I do (and im doing this from last two hours ;))

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 31000:65500 -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -p udp --dport 31000:65500 -j DROP

yes I am Droping too many ports at once, (actually its default ACCEPT
machine), as far I know not a single well known service is running on
port above 31000?

Actaully I duno what to do coz im watching (through tcpdump )lot of
clients accessing higher ports, thats why I puts these rules.

iptables -L -nvx  gives too many counts whenever I checked, especailly
numbers are very high for UDP "udp --dport 31000:65500 -j DROP"

Im i doing right thing? (see im getting counts on it )
Am I droping some ligitimate packets?
or ours clients (sitting on M$ OS) are infected?

may I extend the rules to INPUT and OUTPUT ?

regards
tired :(
--
(after bouncing head on desk for days trying to get mine working, I'll make
yer life a little easier)