Re: [semi-OT]: Transparent proxy: SQUID & IPTABLES

Emilio Casbas wrote:

Giovanni Costagliola wrote:

Hello all,

           I'm attempting to configure a transparent proxy on my lan.

Default gateway and proxy reside on the same machine.

I issued the following iptables command:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-ports 8080

where interface eth0 is the one that gateways internal clients.

I receive a stupid message by squid caused by incorrect URL syntax.

It seems that getting an URL such as:

http://www.google.it/search?sourceid=navclient
<http://www.google.it/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&q=foobar>
&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&q=foobar

reach Squid layer as

/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&q=foobar

Missing of the protocol and host part!

How is it possible?

Sorry.
This is a tipical web request

You have to configure squid to accept HTTP requests
with partial URIs.

see http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html

Thanks
Emilio C.