Re: (no subject)

Michael Barry wrote:
I have a bunch of public IP addresses, for example, in the range
192.168.1.100-192.168.1.104.

I have a 5 computers on my internal network statically defined from
192.168.0.100-192.168.0.104.

I am trying to create a rule where each computer will always map to the
same public ip address. For example I did: iptables -t nat -s
192.168.0.100 -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.1.100.

I'd guess there was also "-A POSTROUTING" in above command?

The problem is if I try to do a ping from 192.168.0.100 it correctly
gets translated to 192.168.1.100 and the ping goes out, but when the
reply comes back there is an ARP request for WHO-HAS 192.168.1.100, and
since no-one technically holds this address no reply is ever sent, and
the ping reply gets dropped. Does anyone know a solution to this
problem?

This part is strange. The reply should have been translated automatically back to your private range. I'm not sure if connection tracking module is required for SNAT. It might be. Try doing "lsmod | grep ip" and see if it shows up (you might also send output to mailing list, might help somebody to help you). It is usually automatically loaded (even when you don't expect it), but if it isn't, try loading it with "modprobe ip_conntrack".

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited