OFFTOPIC: Re: VPN over netfilter NAT

    Well ...... this is not completly true, as well it's not a complete lie.

    Reading the doc you sent us the link, i could notice the author explains
how to setup a IPSec VPN, using FreeSWAN.

    It's true that IPSec is NOT a NAT-Friendly protocol, just like HTTP or
SMTP. IPSec requires special cares when doing NAT. These 'special cares' are
implemented in NAT Helpers, just like ip_nat_ftp. And, IPSec NAT Helper was
never developed or, at least, never was made public available.

    BUT, there's a patch called NAT-T which allows IPSec to work fine on NAT
situations.

    You should also notice that FreeSWAN is not being developed anymore. Two
projects continued developing the FreeSWAN source, which are:

http://www.openswan.org/
http://www.strongswan.org/

    Seems that both projects applied the NAT-T patch into their distribution
codes. So, you WILL be able to run IPSec VPN over NAT **IF** both peers are
NAT-T capable and correctly configured for that.

    And you can always try another VPN daemons. In several situations I
prefeer using OpenVPN (http://openvpn.sourceforge.net), which is extremely
simpler to configure and it NAT friendly with no extra configurations. If
you're trying to establish VPN between 2 Linuxs, OpenVPN may be a great
option. But if you're trying Linux-Cisco or Linux-something else, maybe
IPSec will be your only option.

    Hope it helps .....

    Sincerily,
    Leonardo Rodrigues