Re: vpn

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 09:46, Peter Marshall wrote:
> I need to set up a vpn.  I am trying to figure out which would be best.  I
> need to connect my office with a sister office.  The employess are using
> windows machines.  They want to be able to get and put files from a windos
> file server. Windows networking would be a bonus.  Both offices have Linux
> firewalls.    Would ssh over a PPP tunnel work for this ?  Would pptp or
> cIPe be a better solution ?

IPSec would be the best solution here.  openswan is my stack of choice.

> I have my network setup below ... I was also wondering if it would be better
> to put the vpn server either behind the internal firewall, or in the dmz, or
> make it part of the internal firewall

make it part of either the external or internal firewall.  if you didn't
have public IP's on the internal firewall--the only proper choice would
be the external firewall.  since you mention putting it on the
internal--that would be a fine choice.  do not put it behind the
internal firewall--that would be a bad choice.

-j

--
Jason Opperisano <opie@xxxxxxxxxxx>