Re: tcpdump and Iptables

El jue, 02 de 09 de 2004 a las 19:56, CC escribiÃ:
> Hi,
>
> I think I've asked this before here, but I
> don't remember what the answer was.
>
> If I have iptables running and I do a
> tcpdump -i eth0,   at what point is
> tcpdump listening to the connection?
>
> I'm trying to troubleshoot my firewall,
> but am not seeing the right behaviour
> as the packets that I'm trying to block
> by the following command:
>
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i eth1 -p tcp \
>               -d 192.168.7.1 -j DROP
>
> But I still get tcp packets going to
> 192.168.7.1.

Wouldn't it work if you use -o eth1 instead of
-i eth1. Where it's situated 192.168.7.1? If
the routes says it has to go through eth1 to
get to 192.168.7.1 then you need -o.

Or maybe you have packets routed through other
interfaces, not eth1. Or maybe the packets
are being originated in the same firewall, so
the FORWARD rule does not apply.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC