Re: server in DMZ

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 00:08, Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:54:55PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > I think you have confused the issues.  Do not put the source match in
> > the PREROUTING rule (thus your squid access from the local LAN will not
> > break).  Do put the source match in the FORWARD rule.  That will
> > restrict outside access to only 1.2.3.4.  I assume there is already a
> > FORWARD rule that allows access from the LAN.  Hope this helps - John
>
> So, you mean I keep the PREROUTING rule as before and make
> -A FORWARD -d 10.10.10.3 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
> -A FORWARD -s 5.6.7.8 -d 10.10.10.3 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
>
> But will this not forward requests from my squid proxy server too?
>
> -Payal
That's right - I keep forgetting that you are using Squid.  As I
mentioned, I'm a little rusty on Squid configuration.  How is the
traffic getting to Squid.  If I recall correctly, I usually do it with a
REDIRECT.  That means there needs to be a rule to allow the traffic to
Squid (it sounds like there already is one because access is working).
However, at that point, doesn't the Squid ACL list take over? If I
recall, there is a section in the Squid configuration file where one
specifies which addresses are allowed what access - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer