Re: locally access server behind firewall

On September 1, 2004 01:53 pm, Tom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a linux firewall (iptables), and a linux server with apache
> behind that firewall. My provider blocks ports below 1024, so I have a
> prerouting-rule that redirects traffic like this:
>
> $IPTABLES -A PREROUTING -t nat -i $WWW p tcp -d $EXTIP --dport 8888 -j
> DNAT --to $SERVER:80
>
> I also have 2 forward-rules:
>
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $WWW -o $LAN -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $LAN -o $WWW -p tcp --sport 80 -j ACCEPT
>
> and I have these two lines to allow my local pc's to connect to the
> firewall with ssh and stuff like that:
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $LAN -s $INTLAN -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o $LAN -d $INTLAN -j ACCEPT
>

> where:
>   $EXTIP = my external IP address
>   $WWW is eth1
>   $LAN is eth0
>   $SERVER = my server's internal IP address.
>   $INTLAN = "192.168.0.0/24"
>
> This works really well when I try to connect from the outside to my
> webserver. But, if I try to connect to http://myserver.com:8888 from the
> internal network (or from my server itself), I always get 'connection
> refused'. I'm pretty sure I need some other rules, but can someone
> please help me in the good direction here? Thanks a lot!!

	Your inbound DNAT rule doesn't translate connections from the LAN.
	 (-i $WWW)

	IF you want to do this without a DMZ (*not a good thing*) you will need to
both DNAT and SNAT the connections from the LAN to the webserver. i.e. DNAT
the connection from the LAN to the webserver as in the (-i $WWW rule) AND
SNAT the connection on the way to the webserver to come back to the LAN ip of
the firewall.

	Better to follow Jason's advise, create a virtual DMZ and route through to
that.