libctnetlink newby question

I have a need to delete conntrack entries from userspace.  I have applied
the nfnetlink-ctnetlink patch from p-o-m onto a shiney new 2.4.26 kernel,
and rebuilt.  All is well with the kernel.  I have downloaded libctnetlink
from cvs, and made a few attempts to build the library, but I can't find
documentation on the correct incantation to invoke the compiler.  There's
an m4 script, and a configure.in.  Autoconf generates a configure which
will run until it realizes there's no Makefile.in, so what's the correct
entry point to attempt to compile?  Thanks!