iptables 1.2.11

I have just installed a new kernel (2.4.27).
I patched the kernel to handle pptp/gre conntrack.
I also installed iptables 1.2.11 on this server, after the kernel build I
installed iptables and that went through fine.

When I restart the server the new kernel works great, but iptables gives me an
error of 'iptables: Invalid argument' for any -t nat rules.
Have I missed an option on the kernel rebuild?

Paulo