Re: bind 9 and iptables

Your question isn't really specific enough to be sure what's going on, but
I'm assuming that on your firewall box, the rules you present allow DNS
queries to work, but that on clients behind the firewall, DNS still fails,
and furthermore that you have the clients set up to use a DNS server on
the outside of your firewall.  If this is the case, try:

iptables -A FORWARD ...

Remember, the input and output chains are only for traffic with a LOCAL
source or destination (same computer as firewall), whereas forward is for
traffic that goes through the firewall computer.