  From: Jeremy Andrew
  To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 1:50 AM
  Subject: Packet Inspecting Filter with IPTables

  I wish to implement a feature on a linux box which I explained with detail
  in the following text;

  I have read about many different articles on how to take actions based on
  the contains of a packet. I think netfilter/iptables has support of what I
  wish to deploy on a Linux machine (kernel 2.4.20) acting as a gateway
  network node. I have not found enough information about the exact steps to
  be taken in order to;

  - Inspect each and every incoming packet for a specific port (ftp as an
  example), and then if the data packet contains a specific set of bits (ascii
  characters "GLOB" e.g), take actions based on a predefined rule (send a
  message to syslog) and then "drop" this packet.

  Should I install a newer version than I currently have (iptables  v1.2.6a)
  or does this version contain the feature I require? Indeed, I do not wish to
  make an upgrade to iptables since this is a "production" environment, but I
  can add another box only for this purpose, so even alpha / beta versions are
  accepted.

  I would be glad if I see exact steps to take since I really do not have much
  time to make a research on the matter right away.

  Regards...