Iptables error

This morning I rebooted one of our firewalls, I have created a new kernel for
it (2.4.20, patched kernel with latest p-o-m ng).
When I run my firewall script, all I get is errors, seems to be a problem with
iptables 'tables' as none of the rules are create but the default policies
are in place, in dmesg I have the following error:

ip_tables: table screwed up!

This firewall is a production server and I can only really take it down
tonight to check it, anyone had something like this before?

Paulo