RE: Is it possible to Jam windows network neighbour?

> > a firewall can only filter traffic that passes through it.  if your
> > clients are all sitting on a LAN together, there is no way for an
> > upstream firewall to keep them from communicating with each other.
>
> Not quite true, sort of, but we're into Firewall / IPS ( Intrusion
> Prevention System ) territory here.  "Snort" *might* be able to deny
> traffic on the network, failing that you're probably looking at
> commercial software.

good point.  something along the lines of setting up a snort box (with flexresp) on a SPAN port and watching for TCP 139/445 traffic and resetting the connections?  i played around with this awhile back, and i noticed that the snort box generally loses the race in the race condition, but it does effectively keep the hosts from communicating.  not pretty, but effective enough.

need more coffee...

-j