ip_conntrack for forwarded IPv4 packets

I have a basic question on connection tracking for IPv4 packets that need to be forwarded.

Is it possible to do connection tracking only for packets that are locally terminated and not for packets that need forwarding? Since, connection tracking requires reassembling IP fragments, I wanted to know if there is any way to avoid reassembly in the forward path when connection tracking is enabled.

Thank you!

-CA