queue buffer size increasing howto?

Hi everybody!

Greetings for you! I am a new member of this list.

Please somebody help me!

I am developing an application for counting and processing packets in a
linux box with using the ip_queue module.

It is working properly, but sometimes I have a problem, that I get often

Failed to receive netlink message, No buffer space available

Maybee the cause of this, that the box has a lot of short hardly tasks
sometimes.
I think the solution to prevent the packet loss If I would increase the
queue length. I did it with this command:

echo 2048 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_queue_maxlen

#cat /proc/net/ip_queue
Peer PID          : 23985
Copy mode         : 2
Copy range        : 2048
Queue length      : 184
Queue max. length : 2048

The enviroment:
 2.4.26 kernel and  iptables: 1.2.9 with promiscuous patch 1.2.3

With this command: watch -n 0 "cat /proc/net/ip_queue" during my
application running the biggest number of "Queue length" is 255.

I don't understand it, because the "Queue max. length" is 2048.

How can I increase the queue length?

What is the really method of the queue increasing?

Thanx:

Gabor