RE: How to install patch-o-matic

> During my research on the net, I found that I need to load two modules in
> the kernel in order to enable this function; the modules (please correct me
> if I am mistaken) are "ip_conntrack_pptp" & "ip_nat_pptp".
>
> And I found that these two modules come with patch "patch-o-matic". I have
> kernel version "2.4.20-8" and iptables version "v1.2.7a", and hence I
> downloaded the "patch-o-matic-20030107.tar.bz2" in accordance.
>
> I decompressed and untar that patch inside "/root" directory.
> Then I get inside the directory "/root/patch-o-matic-20030107" and I found a
> list of files and other directories.
> In fact I don't know how to complete the installation process after that and
> which file I should start with in order to have these two modules in hand;
> it is not mentioned precisely in the README file.

you need to have the kernel source code available on your system, and run (for example):

KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8  ./runme pending
KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8  ./runme extra/pptp-conntrack-nat

(the KERNEL_DIR above is just an example)

> It is required to recompile and build the Red Hat 9.0 kernel after
> installation that patch, so can you refer me where can I find a detailed
> instructions and steps on how to compile the kernel?

yes--recompiling the kernel is required.  refer to the kernel how-to:

  http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

it's usually a good idea to rebuild the userspace iptables after applying pom; though, i don't think it's necessarily "required" in your case.

-j