Re: Use of Kernel Headers

Antony Stone wrote:

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 9:40 pm, Jim Gifford wrote:

I have been asked this question a lot of times, and I think it should be
asked here for an official answer.

It has been stated numerous times that userspace programs should not be
compiled against raw kernel headers, but iptables does compile against
userspace headers and breaks this rule. With the advent of the
linux-libc-headers package, should iptables be compiled against the
linux-libc-headers or the raw kernel headers since iptables is a user
space program?

Should patch-o-matic update the headers in the proper location,
/usr/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4 etc?

Patch-o-matic is not the right way of doing this - this would be dealt with in a new version release of iptables.

P-o-M is for adding new features and functions (which are optional and not used by most iptables users) to netfilter; it couldn't sensibly be used to change the structure of how it compiles.

As for the answer to your question, I think that is one for the developers' list. Some of them do read this list, but cannot be guaranteed to see all posts or respond to them due to the volume.

Regards,

Antony.

Thanx Anthony, will do.

--