RE: -m helper --helper -irc

>   I use following rule for marking irc dcc transfers from my NATed lan.
>
>   iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m helper --helper irc \
>   -m mark --mark 0 -j MARK --set-mark 1
>
>   And this works perfectly when I send a file to somebody, and doesn't
>   when somebody sends something to me. Why?

i was under the impression that ip_conntrack_irc was written to handle outbound DCC transfers only...not inbound.  there may be a patch floating around that makes it work inbound as well--try google / marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netfilter...

as an aside--what is that rule doing exactly, 'cause you've stumped me.  to me, it says, "if a packet has a mark = 0, set the mark to 1" and you're doing this in the PREROUTING chain of the mangle table--where is the mark = 0 coming from (as i can tell, it could only be coming from a previous rule in mangle:PREROUTING)?

-j