Logging Questions

Good day,

I have been running netfilter for a few years now.  Right now I am pulling my logs into an application called Sawmill (www.sawmill.net) it understands native iptables logs.  This application, like other parsers, can only report on info that is in the log.  I would like to be able to pull reports with protocol breakdown and amount of certain traffic, e.g. how much SMTP went out vs. how much came in.

I use a custom made webmin module to configure rules, if I edit the iptables file this is what I see for logging:

-log-prefix RULE_1:ACCEPT:
-log-prefix RULE_10:DROP:

Is there a way to log more information about the traffic as stated above by adding to these lines or do I need another package to do this.

Checkpoint FW-1 has a 'log' option and a 'accounting'. Accounting gives more information regarding traffic stats.

I read on the lists that people have created a new chain and logged it that way, but I am not sure what can be done.

Thanks in advance

Manny

They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **