Re: Netfilter vs commercial

Jason Opperisano wrote:
and as an aside--i find it hard to believe that there are people out there
saying something along the lines of "we use commercial software becuase we
can sue the manufacturer if it breaks."  i know no one actual reads those
EULA's that are presented at install time--but they say "if this software
breaks, you can't sue us."  where was that big lawsuit against microsoft for
damages resulting from <insert favorite ms exploit here>?

It is more along the lines "we can blame them". In (some of the) manager's heads, if you donwload something from the network for free and it breaks, it's your fault (and manager's for allowing you to do so). If you pay for it, it is vendor's fault. And if you blame somebody, there's always somewhere at the back of the head that you can sue them too (althogh it is not true). Stupid and ignorant, I know.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited