patch-o-matic and kernel 2.6.7

Dear all netfilter users/developers,

I would like to "loadbalance" my 2 isp internets links
with a GNU/Debian (sarge) box with 3 NICs.

I read the linux.com.lb Howto (very good How to),
Now, I know how to put rules inside my NAT router for
this.

I have a some questions:

- What is the best way to patch my 2.6.7 kernel to add random and condition patch in iptables ?
I mean, do I have to do this from a iptables cvs or do I have to download a specific iptables
tarball version ?

Do I have to install iptables or just patch the one in my 2.6.7 kernel ?

- I would like to add a script to automaticaly detect a down line (with icpld) and change a file. And so, with the condition pach, decide for the routing of my packets to the second isp.

Is it a good way to do this ? Is there another way ?

Thank you in advance for your help on this, Guillaume