Re: Log Problem

On Monday 09 August 2004 5:40 pm, 'Me' wrote:

>  Hi,
> I?m having problems logging packets (IPTables: 1.2.8 Kernel: 2.4.8) with
> the following rule (from the  FAQ):
>
> iptables -N logdrop
> iptables -A logdrop -j LOG
> iptables -A logdrop -j DROP
>
> On the log line I get:
> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
>
> I?m a little lost ? any pointers?

It seems unlikely, but has your kernel been compiled without support for the
LOG target (and by the way, why are you using a three year old kernel
anyway?)?

Test one thing at a time:

1. Can you use the LOG target?
iptables -A INPUT -j LOG

2. Can you put a rule into a user-defined chain?
iptables -N logdrop
iptables -A logdrop -j DROP

If both the above tests work, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to
put a LOG target into your user-defined chain (so check very carefully the
syntac of what you are typing when you get the error, etc).

If one of the above tests fails, you know where the problem is.

Just one last thing to check - you haven't compiled the userspace iptables
tool without also recompiling the kernelspace netfilter part, have you?

If you do one of these, you should also do the other to match.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Microsoft may sell more software than any other company, but McDonald's sell
more burgers than any other company, and I think the other similarities are

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.