RE: Netfilter vs commercial

> I would like to know how people on this list ... which I know might be a biased opinion feel how a Netfilter firewall
> box .. properly configured would compare in security to a commercial firewall.

it would be equivalent--given that both firewalls are configured by "experts."  the majority of my day job involves check point fw-1/vpn-1 consulting.  as far as "firewall filtering capabilities" (for lack of a a better term), you can build a firewall using netfilter that has at least the same; if not more, functionality as fw-1/vpn-1.  the path of a packet through the fw-1 kernel (from memory--don't quote me on this):

- drop all packets with IP Options set
  netfilter:  "-m ipv4options --any-opt -j DROP" -OR- "-j IPV4OPTSSTRIP"

- drop spoofed packets (anti-spoofing)
  netfilter:  easy enough to setup with iterations on "-s $INTERNAL_NET -i ! $INTERNAL_IF -j DROP" etc...

- if packet is not "new" compare to state table
  netfilter:  use "-m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED" to allow replies to established connections

- if packet is "new" compare to security policy rule base
  netfilter:  use "-p tcp --syn -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT" to accept new connections (for TCP at least)

> I do not want to compare performance or stats on through put but the strength of the firewall. The reason I am asking is
> to at the moment we are using Netfilter based firewalls which I have setup Squid and Frox and many other application
> level filters.

beyond basic stateful filtering--you can enable higher-level security checks using application-level gateways as you are currently doing.  check point refers to this as "application intelligence" which allows you to do things like blocking user-agent strings in HTTP communications.  there's is absolutely *nothing* that check point can do here that you can't do with squid.  conversely--there's plenty you can do with squid that you cannot do with application intelligence.  check point point to the fact that the application intelligence checks run in-kernel as opposed to user space, which i'm sure is much faster.  not sure if the speed difference is actually relevant though.  my experience with this has been that application intelligence gives people just enough capability to make them really want a true, full-blown application level gateway--which is precisely what check point has argued against since its inception.

check point's real selling point is in their management architecture--the ability for a security admin that either lacks the time or expertise to manage rulebases on many firewalls (100's) with a suite of pretty GUI management applications (rule editor, log viewer, status viewer).  if you have just a few firewalls, and are competant with shell/perl scripting--you could be much happier managing your firewalls through an SSH connection.

if you really know what you're doing and have very specific filtering goals in mind--you'll probably be happier with netfilter in the long run, as it will allow amazingly granular control of how/when/why packets get filtered.

dunno if this helps, but i'm also not sure that the question isn't just a wee bit too high in flame-bait content (i understand you didn't intend it as such).

-j