Re: Tips for script

On Thursday 05 August 2004 1:04 am, Jacob Friis Larsen wrote:

> Would this script work like this:
> - Allow all outgoing.
> - Allow all to port 80, 21, 22, 25, 143

Yes.

> What else does it do?

It enables packet forwarding for no apparent reason, as the machine has only
one interface and the FORWARD chain has a default DROP policy with no rules.

It also loads the ip_nat_ftp module for no purpose, since the machine does not
do nat.

> Any tips?

Personally I'd put the ESTABLISHED,RELATED rule first, for efficiency.

You might want to allow loopback packets as well, depending on what
applications you're running on the machine.

iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

Regards,

Antony.

> #!/bin/sh
>
> # iptables script generator: V0.1-2002
> # Comes with no warranty!
> # e-mail: michael@xxxxxx
>
> # Diable forwarding
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> WAN_IP='x.x.x.x'
> WAN_NIC='eth0'
>
> # load some modules (if needed)
> modprobe ip_nat_ftp
> modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
>
> # Flush
> iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
> iptables -t nat -F PREROUTING
> iptables -t nat -F OUTPUT
> iptables -F
>
> iptables -P INPUT DROP
> iptables -P FORWARD DROP
> iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
>
> # Open ports on router for server/services
> iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp --dport 80
> iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp --dport 21
> iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp --dport 22
> iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp --dport 25
> iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT -p tcp --dport 143
>
> # STATE RELATED for router
> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>
> # Enable forwarding

What is this talk of "software release"?
Our software evolves and matures until it is capable of escape, leaving a
bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.