RE: Iptables acting as a load balancer

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Giovanni Costagliola
Sent:
04 August 2004 16:58
To: 'Netfilter Mailinglist'; 'Netfilter Development Mailinglist'
Subject: Iptables acting as a load balancer

Hello folks,

            I’m investigating on the possibility to adopt an iptables-enabled box to balance the incoming traffic toward a server farm.

The fundamental question is:

Q1: Does iptables allow a state-balancing? Or it simple span the packets on the range of IPs? (I further guess: Has it any reasonable sense?)

Q2: What happens in the case a target IPs doesn’t respond yet? In other words Is iptables able to recognize an host failure?

Q3: Provided my needs, and supposing I’ll receive negative answers, does exists some free/gpled solution feasible to me

Q4: Provided iptables fit positively to Q1 and Q2, does anyone experimented the solution? Any feedback to the regard?

I would thanks in advance all the repliers.

k.r.

*g

  :\ Giovanni Costagliola
Here I am