ESP does not hit the nat table

Hi,

I am having a strange problem with iptables. We have a router setup where we need to block certain types of traffic based on a certain criteria (hotspot scenario…).  All rules in the nat table seem to be bypassed for ESP traffic.

iptables -t nat -j DROP

Will not block ESP traffic.

On the other hand

iptables -t filter -p 50 -j DROP

will block ESP traffic.

I am using a redhat 9.0 system. I have also installed freeswan but the module is not loaded.

Is any one having similar kinds of problems? Do you think it is because of the freeswan patches that get installed?

Any inputs, highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ashwin