Re: SRC and DST

No I get it! Thanks for your time!!!

dee3lmo

Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 31 July 2004 9:26 am, dee3lmo wrote:

> Hi Antony,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. I don't get the first part. You say:
>
> "Similarly the reply packet comes back from the web server: source address
> = remote web server; destination address = your computer; neither of these
> = firewall."
>
> The destination address isn't my. None of the addresses is an address of my
> firewall.

Exactly. I was simply trying to point out that a firewall which is routing
packets between one place and another will see lots of packets where neither
the source nor the destination address belongs to the firewall itself.

Nearly all the packets going through routers (which is what a firewall is) are
going to, and coming from, somewhere else, therefore the source and
destination are not the routers IP addresses.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"The problem with television is that the people must sit and keep their eyes
glued on a screen; the average American family hasn't time for it."

- New York Times, following a demonstration at the 1939 World's Fair.

Please reply to the list;
please don't CC me.