Re: Performance vs. Rule Set Size

Alexander Samad wrote:
Hi

I have a BLOCKED chain that every packet go through (its before the
EST/RELA rule) and have about 3000 lines and I can still get around
4x200Kbs tcp streams on Telstra cables (about the same with out the
filtering)

That does not give any real meaning since your load is going to very different from what David gets. Besides data throughput is very different from packet throughput in the eyes of filtering.
Our server has been under very heavy attack over the last few weeks. I
have been adding individual hosts who try to exploit either httpd or
smtp. I now have an input rule set of several hundred lines. Does that
seem terribly over-sized or is that fairly common?

It really depends on how much cpu it is costing you.

I only have a few hundred rules and I DO NOT use connection tracking but my boxes get like something like over 2k packets per second. With the 2.6 kernel, you can run into two issues. At the packet rate I have to handle, filtering costs me about 10% cpu usage. If I had connection tracking turned on, I get at least another 20% hit in cpu usage (I say at least because I no longer could tell how much more it would chew since system cpu usage hit 99% after I turn on connection tracking) and so I ain't gonna try connection track related modules.

David, if you are using a 2.4 kernel, you might find the ipset module useful to cut down the number of rules you put into your netfilter configuration.